Monday, September 13, 2010

Woodcut T-shirt design for Revision International

A month or so ago I was asked by Denver printmaker Tonia Bonnell to design a woodcut for a project she was doing as a fundraiser for  Taking Root - Third Annual Silent Auction for Revision International, a Denver-based non-profit  whose mission is to "empower local actions that lead to global sustainability."One of their programs, Refarm Denver, implements backyard gardens in low-income, urban neighborhoods, creating community among neighbors while providing residents with local, fresh, organic produce. (Learn more at www.revisioninternational.org or find them on Facebook.)


Tonia explained the project in a recent email;

This summer I approached my friend Joseph Teipel (cofounder of Revision International) and Eric Kornacki (cofounder and Executive Director) with the idea to use my printmaking skills to promote their organization and message. They were excited and encouraged me to run with the idea. For this project, I am working with 4 artists who are creating designs that relate to Revision's mission. The designs will be carved into wood blocks, and I will be printing them onto t-shirts - live at the silent auction. I'm very excited to combine my skills, knowledge, and many passions to raise funds for an organization that works toward creating a sustainable and just world. I'm also very excited that the following artists are creating images for this project: Jill Hadley Hooper (artist and illustrator), Theresa Haberkorn (woodcut artist), Kenna Norton (graphic designer and painter), and Todd Fleming (graphic designer and wonderful husband.)

The silent auction is taking place at Green Spaces - 2590 Walnut St, Denver 80205, on Saturday, Sept, 18 from 6-9 pm.
If you are interested in attending the silent auction, information and registration can be found at the following address (and FYI - tickets are cheaper if you order before Sept. 10.)


For the t shirt fundraising project, I designed a propaganda style illustration of a hand holding up a bunch of beets.
The mock up of the design


The carved wood block


A print from the wood block

If you would like a t-shirt with my woodcut design on it, be sure to go to the silent auction, Taking Root this Saturday, 6-9 pm. 



No comments: